Call for Presentations & Sessions
Deadline: Friday October 27, 2023
|Northeast Waste Management Officials Association (NEWMOA)
University of Connecticut Technical Assistance to Brownfield Communities (UConn TAB)
|Environmental Agency Brownfield Programs:
· EPA Region 1
· Connecticut DEEP
· Maine DEP
· Penobscot Indian Nation (Maine)
· Massachusetts DEP
· New Hampshire DES
· Rhode Island DEM
· Vermont DEC
|Economic Development Agencies:
· CT Department of Economic & Community Development
· ME Department of Economic & Community Development
· NH Department of Business & Economic Affairs
· RI Commerce Corporation
· VT Agency of Commerce & Community Development
|Goals of the Regional Summit:
|· Share information about the financial incentives, liability protections, technical and other assistance available for brownfields development from federal and state governments
· Promote best practice and lessons learned across New England
· Provide an opportunity to increase networking and information-sharing among key stakeholders
|· State, tribal, and federal government brownfields and waste site cleanup programs
· Local, regional, and state economic development agencies
· Real estate developers, financial institutions, and legal firms
· Planning and economic development consulting firms
· Local governments
· Interested citizens & groups
· Job training grantees
· Environmental professionals
The two-day Summit will include plenary and break-out sessions and an exhibit area. There will be ample time during the breaks for networking and viewing the exhibits.
Summit organizers are soliciting proposals for complete 75-minute sessions or individual 20-minute presentations. All proposals will be considered, but complete 75-minute sessions are preferred.
Proposing a 75-minute Session
There are two types of sessions we are soliciting proposals for:
- A site-specific case-study of a project in one of the New England states that illustrates financing, coalition-building, unique site considerations, and lessons learned. We intend to have one case study session for each of the six states.
- Sessions on the following topics (or on other relevant topics that you are free to suggest):
- Leveraging External Funds
- Gentrification & Displacement in Brownfield Redevelopment – Affordable Housing & Green Spaces
- Liability Challenges & Solutions for Stakeholders/Municipalities
- Climate Change & Brownfield Redevelopment – Stormwater Adaptation & Resilient Infrastructure
- Engaging the Community – Developing a Community Engagement Plan/Creating a Brownfields Task Force
- Environmental Justice
- Engaging Property Owners/Developers – Marketing Brownfields Sites to Developers
- Renewable Energy on Brownfields
- Risk Management
- Best Practices for Beneficial Reuse of Fill on Brownfields Sites
- Land Banking Brownfields Sites
- Urban Agriculture on Brownfields
- Marketing Your Revolving Loan Fund
- Emerging Contaminants at Brownfields
Each session will be 75 minutes and should have 3 presenters and a moderator. Each presentation should be a maximum of 20 minutes in length, leaving 15 minutes for audience Q&A. Presentations can be shorter, allowing time for a panel format/discussion.
Submit a proposal for a 75-minute session HERE (or copy this link into your browser if you encounter security issues: https://forms.gle/gNKHSU37UPqWPFxA8) or access the online form from the Summit webpage at: www.newmoa.org/event/brownfields-summit-2024. The submission deadline is Friday October 27, 2023. The Google form will require you to briefly describe the session content and key learning objectives, suggest a catchy title, and identify the presenters and moderator.
Proposing an Individual 20-minute Presentation
Suggested presentation topics are listed above, or you can propose a different topic. Submit a proposal for a 20 minute-presentation HERE (or copy this link into your browser if you encounter security issues: https://forms.gle/Bp7Rbr5TnfeDL85n7) or access the online form from the Summit webpage at: www.newmoa.org/event/brownfields-summit-2024. The submission deadline is Friday October 27, 2023. The Google form will require you to briefly describe the presentation content and key learning objectives and suggest a catchy title.
Sponsoring the Summit
Consider enhancing the visibility of your organization by Sponsoring the Summit! For information on becoming a Sponsor, visit www.newmoa.org/event/brownfields-summit-2024 or contact Jennifer Griffith at firstname.lastname@example.org.